Setapp’s main window
Setapp was designed to be handy and comprehensive. Thus, after the installation is over, a neat catalogue window appears.
First of all, Setapp shows you the Dashboard with personal app recommendations and new arrivals:
Here you can do the following:
- Preview an application: Click an application on the Dashboard to switch to its preview with detailed descriptions and screenshots.
- Install an application: Click the arrow button next to the app to download and install it on your Mac.
- Search for an app or functionality: Click on the Search icon at the upper left corner of the Dashboard and start entering a name of the app or its feature.
- Open your Setapp account: Click View My Account to visit your online account in a browser window.
- Get more recommendations: Simply change the size of the Setapp window to make it bigger and see as new recommended apps are added.
To reach Setapp’s main window again, simply click on the Setapp icon or use the Spotlight search.
Navigating through categories of apps
Dozens of your apps are grouped into intuitive categories on the left side of the window, just a couple of clicks away. That's how you can reach them:
- Get a complete list of your apps: Click on the All Apps category and just scroll the list in the center of the Setapp window to view all apps you own. For your convenience, we’ve ordered them by name.
- Move through categories of apps: Click on a category to switch to it and check what's in.
- View installed Setapp apps: Click on the On My Mac category to look at the apps you've already installed on your Mac.
- Return to the previous screen: Use arrow buttons at the upper left corner of the Setapp window to move to the previous or next screens.
Previewing and installing an application
When you click on an application, its preview appears on the right-side area of the Setapp window. A preview of an application gives you an idea about its purpose and design through screenshots, feature descriptions, and valuable links.
- See all screenshots: Hover over a screenshot of the app and scroll horizontally to view more of them.
- Read a description: Scroll the preview down. At the end of the app description, you'll also find some apps we believe you may like (if you change the size of the window recommendations may appear right next to the description).
- Install an application using any of the following methods:
- Click an arrow button next to the app name in the list of applications and then see it changing to the stop button showing the installation progress. When the app is on your Mac, the button turns into the start button that opens your app.
- Click the Install button at the top of the preview area.
- Double-click the app in the list of applications.
Usually, preparation for the first launch goes very quickly (you can see a progress bar at the bottom of the preview window). Anyway, you need the Internet connection to complete the installation successfully.
App icons and their indicators
When you install Setapp, numerous application icons appear in the most accessible locations on your Mac:
If you open the Setapp folder, you see that these icons have tiny indicators in their lower-right corner. For example:
Here are the meanings of these indicators:
|An app is not yet installed on your Mac, but a double-click on its icon opens a preview window (‘teaser’) of the app.|
An application has just arrived to Setapp. A double-click on the icon opens a teaser of the app.
|An app has been updated. Double-click on the icon opens the corresponding app.|
If you double-click on an icon with or indicator or open it in any other way, Setapp shows you a ‘teaser’ of the app.
A teaser is a neat preview window of an application. It gives you an idea about a purpose and design of the application through its screenshots, feature descriptions, and valuable links:
Clicking on the Open button of an application teaser starts the download of the corresponding app. Usually, preparation for the first launch goes very quickly (you can see a progress bar at the bottom of the teaser), but you need Internet connection to complete it successfully.
Previewing an application via Quick Look
If you want to learn more about the apps in the Setapp folder, you can also use the Quick Look functionality. It eliminates the burden of opening and closing multiple teasers that is usually associated with the necessity of previewing a set of apps.
Thus, to find out more about a number of apps without even opening their teasers, do the following:
- Select an app in the Setapp folder and press the Space bar.
- Scroll down and horizontally to view the app’s screenshots and read a detailed functionality description in a Quick Look window.
- Press Arrow keys to switch among app preview windows.
- When you finished previewing apps, you can either
- Close a Quick Look window by pressing the Space bar, or
- Click the ‘Open <appName>’ button in the upper right corner of the window to open the app’s teaser.
Finding a certain app or feature
Setapp's built-in search functionality looks through all descriptions and keywords of its apps to show you the app you need:
- Just open the Setapp Menu and start typing a name of the app or a function you'd like to use. You'll see the results immediately. Alternatively, you can press Control-Shift-Space to open Setapp Search from any app or window. You can change this shortcut in Setapp Preferences (Setapp Menu > Preferences).
You can also use the Spotlight search to find the application you need, just type in its name.
Bringing back removed or hidden apps
Even if you have removed some Setapp apps or hidden them, you might want to use them again one day. In this case, you'll need to do the following:
- Click the Setapp Menu icon and choose Restore Hidden Applications.
All applications that you have uninstalled or hidden earlier will appear in the Setapp folder.